Monday, May 3, 2010

Babysitter vs. Daycare


This is a decision all parents face at one point or another. and I decided to face both on the same day.
Ava is getting more and more mobile everyday so it isn't practical for her to be with me at work anymore. I arranged to have a good family friend, Elaine, watch Ava for a few hours a couple days a week. Today was our first day and it went GREAT. Ava was well rested and happy when I came to pick her up! She had 2 loving women giving her their undivided attention and I felt so relaxed and confident leaving her with them. And not to mention, Ava barely even noticed when I entered the room! She didnt even miss me!
So today I decided it would be a good time to think about joining a gym and taking Ava with me so she can have a little daycare/kid care experience also. Since she did so well, and I felt so confident earlier...what could go wrong?
This is the letter I wrote to 24 Hour Fitness Corporate:
I have been wanting to join a gym ever since I had my daughter who is now 8 months. My husband has worked out at 24 hr fitness for 5 years so I immediately decided I would try it. I called ahead of time letting them know I am considering becoming a member but that the kids club is a make it or break it deal.I got a one day pass.First, I was not greeted, I was hassled about joining and paying on the spot. I was not given a tour or even walked to the kid care room (i had to search for it myself), once inside the kid care room I saw one overwhelmed woman per 10 kids. Video games and TV blaring. Is this where my 8 month old is going to be?
So she brings in one more girl. an 18 year old girl with no certification or any kind of maternal instincts whatsoever. They asked for impersonal information, referred to my daughter as a number and slapped a sticker on her back identifying her. I had tears in my eyes and the two women didnt even attempt to console me. After my 30 minutes on the treadmill (which I had to find and figure out how to use. Not one employee showed me the gym, machines or otherwise) I went back to sign my daughter out. I walked in to see a 2 year old boy sobbing in the corner crying for his mom. The 18 yr old girl was texting on her phone and the other adult woman was holding and playing with my smiley daughter. I immediately ran to the boy and noticed he smelled like a dirty diaper. I alerted both women who acknowleged they smelled something and "maybe we should call his mom".
I stayed until the mom got there to console her son. As I was checking out of the kid care, completely shaken up and frustrated, the woman doesnt update me on how my child did or if she had fun or if i liked my workout. i felt disposable and like "a number" like the one on my child's back. She immediately asked for $4 payment for the 30 minutes. I told her I had a pass and wasnt going to pay. She told me "ok we will see you soon!"...I told her "no, i am not coming back." Neither woman or any other associate tried to make me feel better about my experience. I am going to make sure I let people know about the "kid care" at 24 hour Fitness!! I was appalled.

I was so disappointed. Even though Ava was smiley and doing fine (of course she was, she's confident in her mom's choice in caregivers!)..I just felt the care was below average, at BEST.

what to do, what to do....

No comments:

Post a Comment