Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Will my anxiety go away soon?

I'm going to be very honest and open in this post. It helps to spell out exactly what I am feeling.

Ever since giving birth to Ava I have had moments of intense anxiety. I have to catch my breath sometimes because I get overwhelmed. I have terrible images of something happening to Ava and then what would happen to me after. I've read about new moms hallucinating and having night terrors and even "daydream" about their child dying or being killed or being kidnapped... and just thinking about Ava getting hurt makes me sick to my stomach. I can barely sleep when she is in her crib in her room. all i can think about is someone breaking in through her window and taking her. I have even contemplated sleeping on the floor in her room. Whenever she takes a nap ANYWHERE, even if she doesnt have a blanket or anything near her, I picture her suffocating. Once, I even thought there might be something on the bed that she could breathe in and would get caught in her airway and she would suffocate and die and I wouldnt ever know what happened. I have told chris about my anxiety, and he is very understanding and sensitive about it. But he is sooo much calmer than I am. He NEVER pictures worst case scenario's like that. And now, ever since the day she choked on the barley bar, I find myself having more and more of the mini panic attacks.
Today in the car I was driving along listening to music and I could hear Ava in her carseat playing with her toy. Then we came to a stoplight and I had a bad feeling, all of a sudden without thinking I turned the radio off and spun around in my seat to make sure she was breathing. She was fine! she was sleeping and because i went to check on her so quickly I startled her awake. Is that normal!? To panic, randomly, that your baby stopped breathing or your baby is sick or something?
Its like I have the rational mom on one shoulder and the "everything is going to go wrong mom" on the other shoulder. And i feel at odds with both all the time!
How I feel as a mom is full of contradictions. It makes me so happy and so terrified. It makes me exhausted and energized. Its exciting and scary.
I hope that what I am going through is just new mom jitters and not something more serious.


No comments:

Post a Comment